Popular Posts

Friday, February 11, 2011

Running Cold

My wife's friend Eddie got in touch with me recently and asked about some gear for cold weather running.  He's new to running (so new, in fact, I don't think he's yet BEEN running) so I was obviously perplexed as to why he'd want to get started NOW, in February, when running is just about its suckiest.

In the northeast, February is a month where you'll either be greeted with snow or freezing rain about 50% of the time.  Not to mention the average temperature hovers around 30 degrees on a good day.  I can't stand cold weather running, and I try to avoid it as much as possible.  I'll only run outside maybe twice a week, oppose to in warmer weather, 5-6 times.  I supplement the rest of my weekly running indoors on gym treadmills, but I cut my mileage significantly, because running on treadmills is bad for your knees and hips.

But never to be undaunted by a cry for help (or advice) I pieced together this list of cold weather running gear, keeping in mind that Eddie, being a beginner runner, is likely to be either A) on a budget, or B) not so committed to running as to want to drop 100 dollars on a pair of tights.



EMS Techwick Beanie and Gloves:

Your mom was right; you'll catch a cold if you don't at least cover your head and ears while you're playing outside.  You lose nearly 90% of your body heat thru the extremities, so it's in your best interest to keep them covered.



I like EMS's Techwick stuff, because it's comfy and it breathes, so you're not going to get too gross or sweaty while wearing it.  I used to be a huge opponent to wearing gloves when I ran, because I didn't like how my sweaty digits felt after only a few miles.  EMS's glove liners will allow the stagnant moisture escape but keep your flanges dry and warm.  ($15 bucks each, ems.com)

EMS Excel Running Tights:

I'm not the biggest fan of running in long tights, because the leg muscles being as big as they are, they tend to produce a lot of heat very quickly (usually before your first mile) so covering them up tends to lead to overheating or moisture.  However, again, EMS comes thru with a tight that wicks away moisture and allows heat to dissipate slowly over time, keeping you warmer (but not too warm) longer.  ($35 bucks, ems.com)

Underarmour Base Layer Top:

What I lack for love in running tights, I make up for in a good base layer top.  There are many to chose from, but Underarmour gets the job done for the right price.  It's a durable product that for the money, you can expect to put tons of mileage on.  I still have a set from nearly about eight years ago that still gets weekly use this time of year.  ($50 bucks, ua.com)




Underarmour Compression Sock:

Gotta keep those toesies warm too!  These socks feed heated blood from your quads and calves down to the tips of your feet and back, allowing you to get in a few extra miles before you can't feel your feet anymore.  They're a little pricey but have you ever had to run with numb toes?  It sucks, especially if you hit one of those barely-iced-over-puddles.  ($20 bucks, ua.com)





Nike Training Long Sleeve Jersey:

Layering is important.  You don't want to be out there with just a base layer (at least til April) so Nike's training long sleeve is a good "middle layer" that still insulates but allows for air to circulate.  Moisture from your base layer will transport to this middle layer and evaporate more efficiently.  ($45 bucks, nikerunning.com)





Nike Windrunner Jacket:

Keeping in mind with the layering, you need something to keep those sudden and harsh gusts of cold winter wind off your body.  Nike makes a fairly decent light weight windbreaker complete with hood (incase you get caught in a freakish ice downpour) and water proof pockets that'll keep all your goods (ipod, gels, cell phone, etc) dry.  ($80 bucks, nikerunning.com)






Brooks Defyance Running Shoe:

Lastly, I swear by Brooks, but picking out a shoe for someone else (let alone a beginner runner) is dangerous work.  However, I wish someone had pointed these out to me when I first started getting serious about my runs.  The Defyance is a neutral running shoe and great for people who put between 5-15 miles or more a week on the road.  ($100 bucks, brooksrunning.com)

No comments: